Thursday, March 15, 2012

Celebrating Myself



What could I possibly celebrate about myself? I'm 28 and all my friends are either married, or pregnant while I am still single. All of my MBA batchmates (and I mean all), are working in top notch companies while I have chosen to tread the path less taken, and set up my own establishment. My mean relatives still ask me curiously at every family dinner, "So, have you finally started working somewhere?". Of course, this they ask only when they don't find an answer to their favourite question of "Beta, when are you getting married. You are getting old." It's a miracle I havn't punched them as yet! And you know, I havn't updated my blog in ages :(

So, coming back to the point, what could I possibly celebrate about myself?
I celebrate my independence and freedom. The ability to free myself from stereotypical thoughts and follow my heart. So what if people feel I should marry at 22? I would rather wait for the right man (And I hope he comes along soon!). And so what if I don't have a fancy company or designation to show off? I'd rather be my own boss and do what I love doing. I celebrate this ability to have the courage to be different from the crowd. Be it choosing to give up science after plus two (Haww, you will do B.Com.. that is for losers!), or choosing to not sit for placements during MBA (Yes, yes... I know, I'm crazy). I'm glad I chose to do it that way, because the happiness and satisfaction i feel today is unmatched.

I celebrate my ability to find joy and happiness in small things, like the petunias in the garden or the dogs running in the park or even the ladybird walking on the leaf! I know the world is not a very nice place, forget the wars and famines, just the bitterness, jealousy and hypocrisy we endure everyday is depressing. Yet, I choose to be optimistic about things, always. And I feel, that's half the battle won. I also celebrate the fact that I forgive easily (and sometimes that comes back to haunt me real bad, but I like it this way). I'd rather forgive and regret.. than harbour hatred.

I celebrate the God given gift of patience and "the art of listening", which has helped me dry the tears of so many friends, by doing nothing more than listening. In this busy world, where people hardly have the time to stop and stare, I am glad that don't mind stopping and listening. I am glad that I still care. And while I may be a successful entrepreneur, a great professional and blah and blah... this is the one aspect of my being that I celebrate the most!

And last, but not the least, I celebrate my parents, each and every day, each and minute. The parents who are absolutely okay with their daughter still being unmarried at 28 and choosing an unknown profession. Who encourage me to think for myself, be independent, be self sufficient and be full of warmth, compassion and humanity. I know that no matter what happens in life, no matter what crap I get myself into... I can always fall back on my parents.

Thank you Mom and Dad, for giving me so reasons to celebrate!

PS: A part of Women's web International Women's day Contest.


3 comments:

  1. Finding joy in little things is a celebration by itself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a chor for not letting me know you updated your blog. :P But awesome work! :) I connect with a lot of the things you've mentioned :) To be able to celebrate oneself is the first step towards the celebration of life itself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Shail.. Yes it is. Thanks for stopping by. Am a big admirer of your blog.. and congratulations on the release of your book!

    @ Cau.. Thanks. I knew you would agree with almost all I wrote!

    ReplyDelete